Sunday, January 30, 2011

Knowlege is Power !

Another week another couple days of working out.

Monday evening was good, getting in over an hour of walking/running with Andre. Wednesday was dead as I was busy with work and blew it off, Friday was great as my better half joined us and nearly kicked the crap out of us. Seriously though, missing that one day made me feel guilty.

This morning was nice and cool and it even drizzled lightly as I rode. Of course you know there is usually extra wind around with the rain and riding in wind is always a chore. This morning I went out quickly and did well, but starting out quickly usually takes it toll later on, and it did. I had to stop for a drink before completing the full ride.

This morning I met a couple guys on the road and they offered some very good advice. They noticed that I was riding in a pretty high gear and suggested that since I had just started back after months of inactivity, I should be riding in a very low gear and just spin away to build my capacity (lungs, heart, etc) and legs. Riding in a high gear makes it harder to pedal and you cover more distance. Its like lifting weights, if the intention is to lose weight, then you go with relatively light weights for 15-20 reps, if you're building muscle mass you go for heavy weights and crank out 6-8 reps. One gives you an aerobic workout (high reps, spinning) while the other gives a more anaerobic workout (heavy weights, high gear)

This also brings home the reality that I am over 40, in lousy shape and need to concentrate on doing it right, building slowly and not setting unrealistic goals. So no 100 miles in May, more likely nearer the end of the year.

On the way home it was still very overcast, so I called up Andre and bullied in into going walking. He really didnt need much encouragement, we were off in a light drizzle and did 10 laps of the football field before quitting as a result of the drizzle getting heavier. If it hadnt we would have gone on for 15 laps. I didnt just walk this morning but did also did some jogging and that is what told me in no uncertain terms that I am one fat unfit fuck !!

Good morning, good workout, good all around week.

---------------------------
January 30, 2010

Miles today - 12.0

Miles Ridden MTD - 75

Target MTD (revised) - 75

Target for February 2010 - 100 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment