Sunday, January 16, 2011

Making Steady Progress



This was the Palisadoes Road this morning. We have a serious pollution problem in Kingston, whether it be dust, garbage, rundown ram-shackled buildings, water pollution, etc.

Kinsgton Harbour in this vicinity is disgraceful with garbage floating along the shoreline. I read an article a year or two ago that stated that Kinsgton Harbour in the vicinty of Harbour Head is stagnant as before the erection of the Causeway bridge on the opposite side of the bay, the Rio Cobre entering Hunts Bay created currents that circulated throughout the entire basin allowing for it to cleanse itself. Progress usually interfer with nature and sadly we usually find out too late. This dust nuisance can be controlled though and we need to hold the authorities accountable in making sure that corporate Jamaica clean up their messes.

This morning's ride was very good. Earlier start by about 10 minutes and a steady ride out to Port Royal, I covered the distance faster than last week (I dont have a bike computer and am in the process of getting one) and came back in feeling good. As I passed my wife on the road I told her to meet me in Harbour View, which is another 3 1/2 miles on the Palisadoes Main Road.

I stopped, had a drink, circled down by the airport and headed past The Jamaica Maritime Institute and onwards towards Harbour View. The road surface was great and made riding easier, but the garbage pollution on that side of Kingston Harbour got me a bit down. A bit further on I stopped for about 5 minutes, my lungs had started to burn a little on nearing the section pictured above. A couple of guys rode through and told everything would be fine, so I hopped on and rode onwards. Luckily the dust wasnt dense and within 20 seconds I was through.

I rode on to the roundabout and onwards another half mile (not counted in my mileage) to my mother-in-laws house where I was rewarded with callaloo, ham, dumplins and nice soft yams.

A good ride, more miles than last week and I still felt good.

Hopefully 20 miles next week, and enough time to maybe do 75 or 80 miles.


---------------------------------
January 16, 2010

Miles Today - 15.7

Miles Ridden MTD - 39.7

Target for the month - 50

Miles needed for target - 10.3

No comments:

Post a Comment