Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Adding Walking to the Mix !

I've added walking to the exercise mix and know that this will help with the getting fit plan I have for 2011. My best friend Andre who's pushing 300 plus has from time to time worked out with me and really just need someone to keep him company while walking. Back in 05 he and I worked out at a private gym for about 6 months leading up to my wedding and he was very disciplined, lost quite a bit too. Like me, work stress inevitably gets in the way and we retreat to inactivity.

Andre's pushing 320lbs and I am at 235lbs, we have been friends since high school so we have known each other for about 26 years, he was one of the groomsmen at my wedding and have always been very involved in my life, we are both pushing the big 40 now and I know if we dont start getting active we wont live to see the big 50 !

40 minutes of very brisk walking was enough for the first day out. We walked through his neighbourhood to a football field and did 5 laps, then we walked all the way back to his house. We got a pretty good workout and having my phone there with about 2 days with of music helped, we just dialed up some hip hop music and just stepped to the beat.

The plan is Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings for an hour of intense walking (time will probably increase the fitter we become). I got a small blister on my left foot during the walk and have to make sure that I lace up my sneakers pretty good so my feet dont move around while I'm walking, its feeling better this morning and I am hoping that it will be all healed by Wednesday.

One thing I have found is that brisk walking leaves you winded pretty quickly and building up stamina walking will definitely help with my riding. Andre used to hike a lot years ago, gonna see if we can get involved in that again, and he's very interested in getting a bicycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment