Sunday, January 9, 2011

On Tackling 100 Miles.

12.5 miles this morning and all in all a good ride.

It's almost like the 8 months break didn't occur except that I am a little more winded than before, I could have gone more but Antoinette and her Aunt being there curtails that as her Aunt has to get to work by 8am. I love the fact that Antoinette is going walking while I ride as the before and after time is good for us. She just got her pass to go jogging at the Mona Dam, so during the week she and her other Aunt will be jogging around the dam during the week.

I haven't stared walking yet, I wanted to on Monday morning but a couple of gunshots not too far from the house Sunday night at about 11pm convinced me otherwise. I am hoping to get out for 2 -3 days of intense walking to back up my weekend riding this week. Also I will now ride on Saturday and Sunday with Saturday designated as my "long" day (25 miles and up)

The title of my thread probably gives you an idea of what I want to do this year, which is to ride 100 miles (a century) in one day. We are in January and with consistent riding (2-3 days per week) and walking plus some weight training, I am thinking that I should be able to do 100 miles by the end of April (4 months). Riding 100 miles ( 6-7 hours) isnt easy and one has to plan breaks for eating and drinking (refueling) and make sure some sort of support is close by. Riding 20-30 or even 40 miles can be done on 2 bottles of water and gatorade each but your body will need food to replace energy expended so it takes some planning.

Main priority for January into February will be to get myself up to as close to 50 as possible, March will be the month to ride 60 to 75 miles, mixing it up with shorter rides and April will be the century month (100 miles with breaks every 25 miles).

So the Goal has been set and all I have to do is "Just Do It !!"

No comments:

Post a Comment