Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Powers - Excellent Comic Book Series



Every now and then I will read a comic book and just be blown out of the water by the type of story and the artwork. When you have been collecting comics as long as I have it takes something special to hold my attention, I mean most of the times I feel like I have "been there, done that", not so with Powers.

Powers is a crime drama comic book that takes place on an Earth populated by Superheroes. They soar above people in brightly coloured costumes and clash with Supervillians in epic spectacular battles like Gods while down in the streets normal citizens try to go about their lives in a dirty crime infested city. Police Detective Christian Walker (a former Superhero) and rookie Deena Pilgrim are teamed up and investigate crimes (mostly murders) related to Powers (the name given to people with........well powers)
Creator Brian Michael Bendis, a writer who made his name in the independents before becoming Marvel Comic's star boy, has stated that he really wanted to write this book as Alan Moore (Watchmen) and Frank Miller (The Dark Return Returns) told all there was to tell about Superheroes, and he found these types of stories more interesting. There are times when Bendis' obvious Mamet's style of writing irritates, but thankfully the substance of the stories usually make up for it

The artwork by Michael Avon Oeming is simple and reminiscent of Bruce Timm's style from the Batman Animated Series of the 90s and actually enhances the scripts greatly. His clean dynamic layouts have made me an instant fan.

If you were/are a fan of Hill Street Blue, NYPD Blue, CSI, heck even Law and Order you will enjoy this. It is serious, funny, irreverent, smart and damn good comic writing with stunning art.

I have a friend that I supply with what I consider exceptional comics, right now he's devouring Bendis/Maalev's excellent Daredevil run, I think I will give him Powers next and watch as his head explodes.

Powers - copyright Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming
Trades available at Amazon at this link



No comments:

Post a Comment