Saturday, March 13, 2010

I have seen my mortal enemy and it is ...........


the wind.

The blustery incessant wind that pops up every now and then while riding. It saps your energy, makes your heart pound and turn your legs to silly putty. It makes you feel that all the months of heavy riding suddenly means nothing and you are back to your old self , huffing and puffing away , helping to make you doubt your ability to finish and fueling the nagging thought in the back of your mind "maybe I should quit early today"

I had no intention of backing down from this beeeeyatch, she wasn't going to dry hump me and leave me wanting more, no sireebob. I was going to conquer her and walk off with a smirk on my face, and that is exactly what I did.

I paid no attention to the breeze while getting ready to ride, I just hit the road and cycled like my life depended on it. I started 10 minutes earlier than usual and rode out and back. Going out was fine, coming in was not, but I just gritted my teeth and steadily fought the wind and was genuinely very surprised at how quickly the ride seemed to be, it was not actually, but not bitching and moaning and just riding, concentrating on form, breathing properly, costing when I felt exhausted (never stopping).

I was wasted after 25 miles and after 10 minutes rest and some water and gatorade I actually felt like I could do another 6 or so miles, problem was that 6 miles would take me to Port Royal and I would have to ride another 6 in the wind again back to the car, and the sun was already out in all her glory and Wayne was wasted.

Next week I will start another 15 minutes earlier and go for 3 circuits - 36 miles. That should be very challenging as I have never ridden over 25 miles before

--------------------------------
March 13, 2010

Miles Ridden Today - 25

Miles Ridden MTD - 55

Target for March - 100 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment