Saturday, February 13, 2010

I Just Kept Going on and on and on and ...................



Today while riding I had a bit of a breakthrough.

I have been riding very infrequently for the past 6 months and have only been able to consistently ride about 12 miles on any given day. I usually get tired, my heart would race and I would be panting like a hound dog in heat. After riding only 2 miles on Wednesday and almost dying from exhaustion (see post below) I was determined to ride more than 12 miles today.

Started riding by myself at 6:15am and inhaled very deeply as I started out and hit upon the breakthrough idea, I will specifically concentrate on my breathing today, no extraneous thoughts on how tired my legs felt, no thinking to myself that its a long way back, nothing, just concentrate on my breathing and ride. And that is what I did and in the process completed 25 miles.

I usually go nearly 6 miles straight to Port Royal, take a break and then roll on back to the car, but this time I was really feeling good. I kept a steady pace, concentrating on form and breathing and just soldered on. On reaching Port Royal I just spun around and started back without stopping and went straight back to the car park.

I still felt great so I had a drink and went off for another circuit, back and forth and then on down to the airport and along the road towards The Gunboat Beach and back. I didnt feel exhausted, didnt feel like I was dying or anything, I felt great - well apart from a sore ass after siting on it for the past 2 1/2 hours.

Wednesday is a holiday and I am going to try Temple Hall to Golden Spring again. The last time I tried it I almost had a heart attack from riding up the incline, but if I apply the same principles - breathe deeply, pay attention to form - I should be able to make it.

Wish me luck


--------------------------------
February 2010

Miles Ridden Today - 25
Miles Walked MTD - 5

Miles Ridden MTD - 27

Target for February - 60-75 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment