Saturday, January 2, 2010

Great Start to 2010

21 Miles today

I have been riding infrequently, I have been busy with work and school and a number of other issues. Where I live the road is very busy and as far as I am concerned not conducive to riding, so I occasionally ride when I can get up early on a Saturday morning to get it done. My job invariably interferes and it seems like 50-60 hours during the week is not enough for me to at least have Saturday mornings free.

My life needs changes and the first change is the job. I have been at my current place of employ for the past 6 years and although my passion is high and my dedication is more than 100%, there are times when one must make an honest assessment of what is happening. Am I being treated fairly ? are my opinions valued ? are we just cannon fodder to make the numbers and nothing else ? do I have peace of mind ?

I have made some promises to myself for 2010:

1. I need to have peace of mind while working
2. My dedication to getting fitter and healthier has to be prioritized
3. My family must take priority
4. I must assist my wife as much as possible to ensure her new business venture succeeds.

This morning I did 21 miles. I have never ridden more than 12.3 miles before and haven't ridden since the middle of November and was determined to ride today and tomorrow. A friend who rides a lot suggested that I work on fear of riding near my home and just get to it. He rides up here regularly and has never really had a problem. The advantage to riding up here is that the roads are not flat, and about 3 or so miles away there is a steep climb to Stony Hill. I am under no illusions that I am ready for Stony Hill but I know fighting my way up that slope on a regular basis will benefit me tremendously. So tomorrow its Temple Hall to Golden Spring and then eventually up the hill incrementally until I can do it.

Today was a big challenge and I copped out before finishing. I met with Robert a co-worker of mine and we did Airport to Port Royal and back in good time. On the way back I saw Wilson my regular riding partner heading out. After the ride Rob and I leaned against the car and chatted for a while when up rode Wilson. We chit chatted for about 20 minutes before Wilson convinced me to go another round. I wasn't totally sold on the proposition but I need to really push myself. I didnt carry any Gatorade this morning so that might have contributed to my being wasted, but I soldered on gallantly to Port Royal, on the way back though my legs gave out a couple miles from the car. It was about 10:30am and the sun was very fierce. I was thirsty and probably a little dehydrated but I really couldnt continue on. Wilson rode on and got the van.

I didnt finish the ride, but I am glad that I was able to get in 21 miles, which is a wonderful start for January and for 2010.

Sunday morning at 6:30am will see me doing Temple Hall to Golden Spring and back. Shouldnt be more than 5-6 miles, but its not flat and that should be an entirely new challenge. Maybe I'll even tackle a little bit of Stony Hill

----------------------------
January 2, 2010

Miles ridden Today - 21 miles

Miles Ridden MTD - 21 miles

Target for month - 100 miles

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, keep at it Dale xD

    As for the peace of mind and job assessment, Fidel told me what you plan to do. I totally agree with the philosophy that you should love your job, not do it for doing sake.

    Anyway, all the best for the new year! Ride for me and you xDDD

    ReplyDelete