Saturday, May 23, 2009

Take these Broken wings........er..... Pedal ??

Oh man, I am so disappointed.

I went riding this morning again with Wayne and broke a pedal. Well not exactly break the pedal, it would seem that the guys who put together my bicycle didn't screw the pedals in properly and the right one had actually cross-threaded when going in, so the pressure I exerted on it this morning caused it to just come out.


I started out well this morning and by 5:15am we were off, Wayne decided to pace me and it worked. I settled into a nice rhythm and just kept on going and going and going. Last week I made about 4 stops (5 minutes each time) in doing 12.2KM (7.5miles) but this time I had only stopped once for about 2 minutes before passing the halfway mark of 6.2. I stopped briefly to get circulation back around the "family jewels" area and a drink and passed the spot I turned back at last week feeling very good. I knew I was nearing Port Royal and was determined to reach there and back for a grand total of 17.6 KM (10.93 miles) when, on reaching the 7.4 KM mark my foot flew off the pedal, or so I thought.


The pedal had come lose and despite help from other riders who stopped, it was hopeless getting it back on as it was cross-threaded pretty badly. I took a seat on a rock and watched the sea while Wayne rode on to Port Royal (I insisted he complete his ride) and then head on back for my van. A Lot of the riders inquired if I was ok as I waited and pretty soon Wayne was back and we were all packed up.


I am dropping off my ride at a cycle shop later on today for replacement pedal and to get it checked out by a professional. I want to know basic maintenance and also top get a small pouch so I can carry my wallet, cell phone and some Allen keys and such if I get into any problems.

I have asked Wayne to get a frame for a road bike for me, so I can start slowly putting together the parts. I want that to be my pet project over the next few months as I continue getting into shape. There is a Kingston to Negril 140 miles run later on in October and I really want to get up to speed enough to try and complete between 20-40 miles of if. I figure if I get in shape and increase my riding between now and October, I should be able to tackle 30 or 40 miles as I am on the cusp of doing 10 miles already.

That is my main motivator for the next 5 months.

I might also be changing my ride, my friend Veron wants to start riding and I might sell him mine and buy Wayne's Rambo. Wayne is now very comfortable with his road cycle and is putting his Rambo up for sale, it has been modified and is a whole lot lighter than my current ride.

MORE LATER.

-----------------------
Target Miles for 2009 - 1,000 miles
Target Miles for May 2009 - 30 miles
Amount of Days Cycled so far - 3 days
Total Miles travelled - 14.35 miles
Total Miles Needed for Month - 15.65 miles

Target Miles for June 2009 - 150 miles

2 comments:

  1. check out the website I posted on my blog. Nutrition plays about 80% part in weight loss. Track your calories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Yammie

    I really havent started tracking my calories yet, as I am concentrating on building my stamina for a 10 mile ride. Once I can complete that I will start keeping time and ensuring that I do the same distance faster and faster before graduating to 20 miles.

    The fatsest way to lose weight are:

    - Workout 3 times a week with weights
    - Eat 1g protein per lb of lean body mass
    - reduce calorie to lose 1-2 lbs per week
    - Drink lots of water, eliminate drinks, sodas, et.

    I am working on my cardio now and am moving in the next 2 weeks, my new digs will have room for a Blowflex and a couple of heavy dumbells. I will continue cycling setting myself very high goals to accomplish (I am dead serious about doing 40-50 miles in October)

    ReplyDelete