Friday, May 29, 2009

Big Dose of Reality

It's going to be very hard work.

Yes it is....

The human body is an ungrateful creature, laze around for a couple of years stressing out on the job, school, life in general. Watch a lot of cricket, movies, whatever, while snacking on your favourite snack and what happens ?? you find yourself at 250 lbs, I mean how unfair is that ????

I went riding last night and learned a very valuable lesson - DO NOT RIDE IN THE EVENINGS ON THE PORT ROYAL ROAD. "Why ?" you may ask, "because of the bloody wind !!" says I.

I did a 5 miles this evening and it was torture. First I started out late and had only gone about half the distance when the sun just took a quick dip below the horizon, I swear, one minute it was there big and bright and the next, it was gone.I turned back quickly as I did not have any lights on the bicycle and wanted to get back before it got really dark, and that is when the problems really started.

Immediately on turning back I felt it, the wind was full blast on my face and the pedaling got very difficult. I soldiered on determined not to give up. I am sure I did between 10-12 minute going out and this was reduced to probably less than a quarter - IT WAS TORTURE. I made a quick stop to prevent a heart attack and continued onwards towards where I had parked. I nearly made it but ended up pushing the bicycle part of the way as the road had become completely dark and I didn't want to get hit off by passing traffic.

I arrived home to a proper teasing from my wife, who had insisted that I go out earlier, took a long cold shower and stretched my aching body for a good 15 minutes. My side and back ached fiercely as I was probably hunched over while battling against the wind. It taught me an important lesson though - it will take hard work to undo what years of neglect has brought on.

I am moving in another week or two and am setting up a small gym in my new digs. I already have a Bowflex and will augment with a bench and some dumbells. I love resistance training and am dying to really get back into weight lifting.

-----------------------
Target Miles for 2009 - 1,000 miles
Target Miles for May 2009 - 30 miles
Amount of Days Cycled so far - 4 days
Total Miles travelled - 19.35 miles
Total Miles Needed for Month - 10.65 miles

Target Miles for June 2009 - 150 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment