Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hit the Road Jack and dont you.............

give up no more no more no more !!!


I went riding this morning for the second time. My plans for riding around the block during the week got railroaded due to some very important issues that required a lot of time dealing with. I got up at 4:30am and got myself a cup of tea (Tetly and condensed milk) and a large glass of water, loaded up and headed out ariving at the destination at about 5:20am. Wayne showed up at the same time and we spent a little time adding 2 bottle holders to my bicycle and pumping tyres. Wayne had put together his road bicycle from various parts and it looked great but we had a problem, his front tyres were leaking so we had to patch tube. Knowing how slow I was and that sun would be a problem I started off leaving Wayne to do his patching.


Slow and steady was my motto with proper breathing. I was hydrated this time unlike last week and found the going easy enough. I kept at it, passing the spot where I turned back last week and kept on going. I made 2 stops heading out and going back mainly because a not so nice by-product of cycling is that you get cramped in the region of your "family jewels" and I would stop until the sensation comes back. Charlie and his 2 friends have been good to me my entire life and I intend to keep them alive and happy for another 20-30 years.


Today I did a whopping 12.2KM (7.58 miles) heading out and back a big improvement on the 7 Km (4.35 miles) I did on the first day considering that half of that 7Km was pushing the bike back. I was on the orad for a little over 90 minutues which translate to an average of 11.87 minutes per mile ? That's really pathetic, but I am not worried abut that right now. I could have kicked myself though as another 30 minutes of riding would have taken me right into Port Royal. I had 1 500ml bottle of water and one bottle of Gatorde to keep me company and that was enough to keep me hydrated.

I am now back home and am getting some chicken for breakfast, not fried or stewed, but jerked. I am watching what I eat but am not on any strict diet. I know weight loss will come if I increase aerobic exercise and add weight training, so as my body gradually adjust, so will the training regime. I will be back on the road tomorrow to repeat what I did today as the body feels just fine, no aches or pain.

Thinking of getting a simple heart rate monitor, the little one that you strap onto your wrist so I can monitor my heart rate while riding. A really good aerobic workout involves getting your heart rate up to 80% of maximum over 30 minutes of working out, so I need to determine what my regular heart rate is and work towards 80% while riding. It is also a fact that the more fit you are is the slower your heart beat so I would like to monitor my progress on that.



1st Picture - Moi posing with Wayne's road bike

2'nd Picture - My bicycle

3'rd Picture - Wayne

1 comment:

  1. Didnt hit the road on Sunday as it rained quite heavily all night and into today.

    Probably for the best though as my but is aching right where the saddle settles when I am riding. I know I will get used to it, but I probably would have been sore beyond belief if I had attempted to repeat yesterday's ride, which was my intent.

    ReplyDelete