Monday, January 16, 2012

2012 - 10K Chalenge

2011 was a huge disaster year for me fitness wise.

This blog has been basically a chronicle of my failures from 2009 to now to try to get into a fitness routine and to lose weight. I have made quite a few starts only to see them fizzle out as work and a weak will cause me to quit after only a couple weeks doing something.

The beginning of a new year is usually a good place to start again and this time I have a goal in mind. "I want to run a 10K race by September 2012."

I walked in the Jamaica Cancer Society 5K race back in October and enjoyed it. Take away the pain in my feet, ankle and arse and the fact that I walked sideways like a crab for 2 days afterwards. It was run on the Saturday morning of a holiday weekend so I had Sunday and Monday (along with Excedrin) to recuperate. I loved it, my wife ran while I walked and I am not ashamed to admit that, but I realized that there were many out there challenging themselves like me to get fit.

A couple weeks ago I started walking with Andre at the football field but this morning I got up at 5am and headed to Emancipation Park in New Kingston and walked their 500m track for 10 laps (5K). I started walking at 5:40 and was done at 6:30. I was joined by a co-worker Dave, who decided that he would be the person to constantly motivate me to get fit - Thanks Dave.

Afterwards I felt good and am looking forward to another go at it on Wednesday morning. Come next week I will up it to 3 days per week before settling in at 4 times per week, by then I should be running and walking. On a Saturday morning I will hope to add a bike ride and maybe an evening or 2 off kicking the ball around.

I have just started so I dont want to over do it or set expectations too high. A weight of 220lbs and running in a 10 K for 2012 is the goal. My wife is already making adjustments to our diet (she lost 20lbs over the past 2 months)

New year new goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment