Friday, October 16, 2009

One Year from Now I will Ride in the Kingston to Negril

Is this an unreasonable goal ?

I have gotten my ride and just started back, my first ride was torture and I wasnt able to ride last weekend because my partner's son was sick.

I tried riding up here one morning and got cold feet from all the passing cars, trucks, buses, etc. but I will try again and hopefully will improve as I am still a bit unsteady on the bike.





I am sure I mentioned in an earlier blog entry a friend of mine - Paul Goldson, who was one of the first person in Jamaica to attempt the Kingston to Negil ride and complete it successfully. I know that he's still an avid cyclist and recently came across his website Jamaicabybike.com. On it he promotes the annual Kingston to Negril ride with proceeds going to the Intensive Care Unit at the University of the West Indies Hospital and the Sir John Golding Foundation.

The ride is 140 miles and takes a south coast route through St. Catherine, Clarendon, up the steep hill to Mandeville, down the other side to St. Elizabeth and on into Westmoreland and is a test of man working in tandem with machine, battling against the elements and the limitations of the human body and spirit.




Right now I am putting my stuff together to go riding tomorrow morning and hope to really take it easy. I seem to have a habit of going a bit too aggressively and running out of steam quickly. I need to take it very easy and try to go beyond the 7 miles I did week before last. I can also get additional exercise by going walking in the mornings with Antoinette. She was always a very fit person and walked rings around us once when we went "hill climbing" a couple years ago. she was laid up recently after doing a minor surgery and wants to get back active very quickly.

The Kingston to Negril Ride is my long-term one year goal. My immediate goal is to be able to ride 50 miles 6 months from now. Not unheard of as I have read of quite a few people who have done more than that in less time. Little goals first - tomorrow - 10 miles hopefully.

Make no bones about it, i have to succeed. I have a soda habit to kick, a more active lifestyle to get used to and 50 lbs (mostly around my gut) to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment