Friday, September 4, 2009

I Love Comic Books

I read a lot

My earliest recollections of reading is with my Grandmother, she's a Jehovah's Witness and she used to read My Book of Bible Stories to me as a kid, and I read along with her. Mom fed the habit by buying comic books for me everytime she went to the grocery store, and I just read everything that I could get my hands on.


Hardy Boys were book produced to be read by 10-14 year olds or so it said on the back of the book, I had read most of them by age 11 and had graduated onto more "meaty" material, but I still read comic books. I found that the graphic interpretation of a story fascinated me to no ends. I love movies and music but I loved reading more and will miss watching the latest blockbuster if my subscription comes in on the same day. Of course this love affair with comic books also led me to a love affair with art and comic book art in particular.

I am a "DC" guy, most of my friends are "Marvel" zombies and swear by their books, but my first comics were Superman and Batman, and that just stayed with me, I love a few Marvel book - Daredevil and Captain America to name a few and years ago when it still made sense I was an avid fan of The Uncanny X-Men.


I have never hid my love for comic books from anyone and laugh to myself when I see people going crazy over movies like 300, The Road to Perdition, Men in Black, Wanted, The Mask (ok, maybe nobody's not going crazy over this one), Constantine, V for Vendetta, Blade, Time Cop, From Hell, etc. I read them years ago when they were originally produced in comic book form.
Television shows like 24, Heroes, Smallville all use comic book style of writing, (well they are inspired by comic books) and comic book writers are now invading mainstream television shows (Ed Brubaker, Neil Gaiman, Frank Miller).
The move is actually both ways as movie/tv writers like Jeph Loeb (Commando), JM Straczynski (Babylon 5, Changeling) Bob Gayle (Back to the Future) and Kevin Smith (Chasing Amy, Mallrat, Dogma) have been very succesful writing comics

A recent word that has entered the vacabulary of everyone is "graphic novel", I hate that word. A graphic novel is a name used to try to "de-ghettoise" the fact that a graphic novel is just one fat and meaty COMIC BOOK.

So what is the point of this post ? (you might be asking while scratching your head)

There is none, I just felt like ranting a little, work has been stressful as usual and I start back school on the weekend.
I love comic books, I love reading, I love art (comic book, life drawing, Rockwell, Wyeth, etc)

I love it !!!

3 comments:

  1. This dont have nutten to do with losing weight, init????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a personal blog and I did put in the header that I will be "sometimes thoughtful, sometimes insane"

    My new bike is on order, it's on its way and I should be back on the road in a week max. I making adjustments right now and taking more healthy meals with me on the road instead of eating processed junk and drinking sodas all day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I should have been in Toronto last week for Fanexpo (www.fanexpo.com) which is a huge comic book convention.

    I couldnt make it this year and just moaning and groaning about it.

    ReplyDelete